Thank you for your interest in the Department of Psychology's Ph.D. program. We admit students once a year, for the Fall semester only.
The application for Fall 2021 admission opens September 8, 2020. Our application deadline is December 1, 2020, 8:59pm Pacific Standard Time.
Our graduate program is a full-time day program and has no provision for accepting part-time or terminal M.A. degree students. Given the competition for admission, we suggest that potential applicants review their background and interests carefully before applying.
The Department invites applications from students who are primarily interested in research. Undergraduate research experience is helpful to have; this includes formal statistics/methods courses and special class projects, independent study projects, and part-time or volunteer work in research. All of our graduate program areas, including Clinical Science, have a strong research emphasis. We believe that competence in research and scholarship are prerequisites for leadership in teaching and public service in psychology.
Diversity is a defining feature of the University of California and we embrace it as a source of strength. The Department of Psychology views its diversity to be integral to our achievement of excellence. Our differences — of age, race, gender, religion, ethnicity, ability status, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, skills, ideas, experience and more — enhance our ability to achieve the university’s core missions of public service, teaching and research.
Prospective students seeking information specifically related to diversity are encouraged to email the Chair for Diversity at the Graduate Assembly of Students in Psychology (GASP) at gasp@berkeley.
- Social Sciences Graduate Diversity Office
- Graduate Diversity Program
- Graduate Assembly of Students in Psychology
Financial support is available to all enrolled students, and is guaranteed for the first five years of the program.
Graduate Program Admissions Information
- About the Program
- General Admissions
- GPA, GRE & TOEFL
- Funding & Residency
- Career & Licensure Opportunities
Graduate Program Admissions Instructions
- Application Instructions
- Graduate Division Online Application
- Special Instructions for Clinical Science Program Applicants
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships: Applicants for the Department of Psychology's doctoral program are encouraged to apply. https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/grfp/Login.do.
- Also refer to Graduate Division Fellowships and Awards to review other significant funding opportunities.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com