Sanjeev - DeCal Co-facilitator
Charisma: The Art of Genuine Connection
What is a DeCal?
DeCal (Democratic Education at Cal) courses offer students the opportunity to teach a topic in which they have training and about which they feel passionate. Students may propose a course, and if the proposal is approved, they will work with a faculty member to design, facilitate and manage a semester-long class.
When is the deadline?
All DeCal classes must have a facilitator meet with the DeCal major advisor prior to submitting the packet. Please schedule a meeting with Christine, the DeCal major advisor, by Friday, September 27th. After the proposal review meeting, all required paperwork must be submitted in person to the Student Services Office (Berkeley Way West; Suite 2210) by Friday, October 25th.
The deadline for completed Spring 2019 Psychology DeCal course proposal packets to be turned in to the Student Services Office is Friday, October 25th.
** Electronic, late, or incomplete submissions will not be considered. **
Training Requirement - All first-time student-facilitators must undergo training prior to submitting the DeCal proposal packet. The Student Learning Center’s Undergraduate Course Facilitator Training and Resources unit (UCFTR) offers a number of Facilitation & Collaborative Learning Strategies Workshops each semester to support students. For more information please refer to: https://slc.berkeley.edu/programs/undergraduate-course-facilitator-training-and-resources-ucftr/formats-service#training-workshops
What should be included in the proposal packet?
1. Course Proposal Form, signed by your faculty sponsor. Please download the current version of the form here: https://academic-senate.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/cpf_packet_2018.pdf Be aware that previous versions of this form will NOT be accepted.
2. Fully developed syllabus. A sample of what to include in your syllabus is available on the teaching.berkeley.edu website here: http://teaching.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/syllabus_components.pdf
3. Responses to the first four questions listed on the Course Proposal Form. If responses can be found in the syllabus, you should clearly indicate in which section of the syllabus the answer can be found. If responses are not incorporated into the syllabus, they must be typed on a separate sheet of paper.
4. Unit Value Worksheet. This form can be downloaded from the Academic Senate website here: http://academic-senate.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/unitvalueworksheet_2017.pdf
5. Faculty Sponsor Letter of Support. Please review the requirements for this letter on the Academic Senate website here: http://academic-senate.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/faculty_sponsor_letter.2017.pdf Proposals that do not include this letter will be automatically rejected.
6. Psychology DeCal Schedule Request Form. We have moved the Psychology course information form online. The Google form can be accessed here. Please be aware that if you are offering more than one section of your DeCal, you must submit a separate form for each section.
7. DeCal Facilitator HCM Form. This form must be completed by all DeCal facilitators. You can download a fillable Word version of this form here. Any student who will be officially serving as a facilitator for your DeCal must complete this form.
How do I obtain Department Chair's approval, and when?
You are only responsible for obtaining the faculty sponsor signature. Once the Student Services Office reviews proposal packets for completeness, we will submit all proposals to the Department Chair for review. Please do not submit directly to the Department Chair.
How can I be sure that my class is in compliance with Academic Senate guidelines?
The department will forward all DeCal proposals to the Academic Senate on facilitators' behalf. If there are any issues with your course, you will work with the Psychology advisor to clear up any issues with your course.
How can I be sure the room I am assigned is set-up with a projector or other technology or space needs?
When you fill out your Psychology DeCal Schedule Request Form be sure to include information such as, "need a room with a projector," or "chairs need to be moveable." Please note that the Psychology department cannot provide technical classroom support, so if you need a projector it is best to request a room that is supported by the campus Educational Technology Services (ETS).
How can I publish my DeCal course?
Once your course has been approved and cleared through the review process, the Psychology advisor will send you a copy of your approved course proposal form. To publish your course on the DeCal website, please submit the approved proposal form to the Program for Democratic Education at Cal located in Eshleman Hall, Compound 312C, Station 17.
How do I handle DeCal course enrollment and roster?
Course facilitators are responsible for ensuring accurate enrollment in consultation with the Department Scheduling Coordinator. Rosters may be obtained from the faculty sponsor. We are no longer able to facilitate enrollment past the add/drop deadlines, so be sure to handle enrollment changes early in the term.
Can I receive Psych 197 Internship units for facilitating a DeCal course?
Yes. If you would like to receive Psych 197 units for facilitating a DeCal course, you can submit a Psych 197 (For DeCal Facilitators) Application along with your proposal, or separately by the Add/Drop deadline. Your DeCal faculty sponsor is also the sponsor for your Psych 197 units, and your application should be signed by him/her.
Psych 197 is offered for 1-3 units. Facilitators enroll in 197 units up to the unit value of the DeCal course they facilitate.
You may not receive Psych 199 units for facilitating a DeCal course. Psych 199 Applications submitted for this purpose will be denied.
How can I set up a bCourses course site?
Once you are listed as the instructor for the course in CalCentral, you will then have access to set up a bCourse. Alternately, your faculty sponsor, will be able to set up the bCourses site and delegate access to you.
Where can I get more information?
Lastly, a friendly word of reminder...
As a facilitator of a DeCal course, you will assume a lot of responsibilities resembling those of an instructor in order to create a positive experience for all participants. We strongly encourage you to review this webpage and links provided above, to maintain close contact with your faculty sponsor to ensure clear communication, and to seek help as needed. Happy DeCal facilitating!