Department Funds
Psychology Department
Travel Awards for Graduate Students

The department provides travel grants to support graduate students who would like to present at professional conferences.


Departmental travel awards are designed to supplement the Graduate Division travel grants. Each graduate student is allowed two Graduate Division awards per graduate career, with amounts based on the location of the travel.  Both Graduate Division awards must be applied for before seeking departmental travel awards, unless Graduate Division awards become generally unavailable for a given time period.


We recommend that trainees apply for the maximum Graduate Division travel grant allowed.  If a full Graduate Division award is provided for a given conference, trainees are not permitted to seek Departmental travel grants for that same conference.  Departmental travel grants, though, can be used to cover remaining conference costs that are not reimbursed by a partial Graduate Division travel grant.


Any planned travel must comply with CDC and University health recommendations regarding travel; please check the latest requirements carefully and frequently, as the University will not reimburse travel expenses that are not in compliance and the rules have changed frequently in 2020-2021.


Pending budget availability, departmental awards for domestic travel are available up to $500, or up to $800 for international travel per conference to cover unreimbursed expenses. Although you may request reimbursement for expenses of attending a remote conference, we generally recommend applying your award to in-person conferences.

Across the graduate career, trainees can receive up to two departmental travel awards, and no more than $1300. International travel grants can be received no more than one time during the graduate career, and count toward the two allowed travel grants. Under rare exceptions, budget permitting, we may be  able to honor modest requests above this amount, with academic or financial justification.


Other forms of support (e.g., faculty advisor supplement for travel, conference travel award, Academic Opportunity Fund award) are encouraged as well.  Many conferences provide free or reduced registration for graduate students who volunteer to help with conference duties; seeking these options through the conference organizer as early as possible is recommended.  Many associations also provide mechanisms to apply for conference travel awards.


In the event that funds are limited, we will prioritize first-authored presentations, and those who have not yet received funding for the current academic year. 


Trainees can apply for the departmental travel award before they know whether their presentation/poster has been accepted; if the work is not accepted, let the graduate advisor know to save the award for a different conference. Trainees must keep the graduate advisor updated about whether presentations are accepted (or not), changes in plans, or any errors in the application.

The departmental travel grants will be administered by the graduate advisor in consultation with the departmental chair.


Decision Criteria

To qualify for a departmental travel award, trainees must meet each of these criteria:

  1. Will be presenting (or co-authoring) a poster or a talk at the conference
  2. Currently registered, on filing fee status, or a clinical student on internship
  3. The conference will happen at least two months before trainee graduates
  4. Has already received two Graduate Division travel grants (or is applying during a time when such awards are not available)
  5. Has not received a full Graduate Division travel grant for the given conference
  6. Has not received 2 previous departmental travel awards
  7. Has unreimbursed conference expenses
  8. Travel plans are fully compliant with the University and the CDC travel safety recommendations, such as these (please search as websites may change over time):
  9.   and
How to Apply

After you verify that you meet the above criteria, submit your application online here: Psych_Grad_Travel_Award_application


Timing of Applications and Decisions

If your travel occurs between:

Application deadline is:


October 1 – January 30

September 1

September 15

February 1 – May 30

January 1

January 15

June 1 – September 30

May 1

May 15


Procedures for Reimbursement

(Submission Deadline – 10 Days after Travel)
Keep track of your credit card and original receipts. Receipts must show proof of payment and detail on the expense. It also must be clear that you personally paid for the expense.


Only expenses not reimbursed from other sources can be submitted.


Examples of allowable expenses include: Travel (flights, public transportation, mileage, parking, uber/cab, etc), lodging, food, conference registration, poster printing. Only actual receipts can be reimbursed; per diem requests will not be honored.


Travel awards can only be applied to the conference initially approved.


Reimbursements can only be filed after travel is complete, and must be filed within 10 days. No advance payment is available.


Complete a Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) Travel Reimbursement Request Form. Access forms at:



  • Student Name
  • ID Number
  • Correct Chartstring (see below)
  • Traveler Signature
  • Copy of the Travel Award Email Notification
  • Receipts for All items requesting reimbursement for
  • The conference pamphlet (showing your presentation or poster or the email detailing your acceptance)
  • If the Graduate Division provided a partial travel award for the conference, provide the notification of approved funds from the Graduate Division.


Please use the correct Chartstring (Chart of Account)


The following chartstrings are for TRAVEL AWARDS ONLY


NON Clinical Science Students

  • Account: 57430
  • Fund: 45520
  • Department ID: 13295
  • Program: 78
  • CF1 (Chartfield1):  SYGASP
  • CF2 (Chartfield2):  SYTRV

Processed by the Department

Clinical Science Students ONLY

  • Account: Leave blank
  • Fund: 51011
  • Department ID: 13295
  • Program: 40
  • CF1 (Chartfield1):  SYGASP
  • CF2 (Chartfield2):  SYTRV

 Processed by the Department


Please submit your completed travel reimbursement form and all supporting documents as ONE PDF file to Tanya Robles ( to be processed. If you are a nonclinical student, you must cc: on that email.


Department Use:
Non Clinical Students: processed in SIS (Student Information Systems). Clinical students: processed in T&E