Independent Study

The Department of Psychology offers four types of special studies coursess: Psychology 197, 198, 99 and 199. Descriptions of the courses are listed below. Students interested in enrolling in one of these courses should come by the Student Services Office at the beginning of the semester, obtain an application, and refer to the list of studies on the website. The faculty will be available during regularly scheduled office hours to discuss opportunities and sign any necessary paperwork. An application form should be filled out by the student, signed by both the student and the instructor, and returned to the Student Services Office by the University deadline to add a course. Upon receipt of the completed application, the Undergraduate Advisors or Peer Advisors will give provide the studnet information about how to enroll on CalCentral.


Psychology 99/199:

Supervised Independent Study and Research, 1-3 units, P/NP.

These courses are designed for students who will be working and learning as a research assistant in a lab on campus under the supervision of a UC Berkeley faculty member. More advanced students may also earn Psych 199 credit by carrying out their own research in such a lab. Psychology 99 is intended for freshmen and sophomores and Psychology 199 is intended for junior and seniors.  A final paper may be required.


Spring 2018 Research Assistant Positions

Click here for a list of research assistant positions that are available this Fall through the Department of Psychology.  * Updated 03/12/18


Summer Research or Field Study

Research and field work opportunities are available during the summer months at Berkeley and other institutions. Several universities have special research programs in Psychology for junior and senior Psychology majors. Recent examples have included research in language acquisition at Clark University and cognition and communication in marine mammals at the University of Hawaii.


Katherine Craig Swan Undergraduate Research Award and Endowment in Psychology

The Swan family has generously donated funds in memory of Katherine Craig Swan, a 1932 Berkeley graduate in Psychology, which will support undergraduate research in the Psychology Department. Theh budget for the proposal cannot exceed $500. This money will be awarded to the most deserving applicants on an annual competition. The faculty of the Undergraduate Awards Committee will review these award funding to the best proposals. Swan Research Awards will be acknowledged at the annual Commencement Ceremony of the Psychology Department.


Campuswide Research Opportunities

The Office of Undergraduate Research's web site is designed to highlight the diverse research opportunities available to undergraduates at Berkeley. You can access it through:


Psychology 197:

Field Studies in Psychology, 1-3 units, P/NP.

Students may volunteer or intern in an agency whose program relates to the discipline of Psychology. Students will need to coordinate supervision by an onsite supervisor as well as seek guidance from a faculty member who will grade them at the end of the term. A final paper may be required. Although the Department does not place students in agencies, we encourage students to seek opportunities in the Weekly Opportunities bulletin or through other on campus offices.

Students engaged in an internship may receive either Psychology 197 units or compensation if the agency is willing to do so out of their funds, but not both.

Psychology 198:

Directed Group Study, 1-3 units, P/NP. Group study of a selected topic or topics in Psychology.

Psychology 198 credit is offered for students who are enrolled in a DeCal class, which is a student-initiated seminar course. To find more information about DeCal classes visit the DeCal website here:



Forms are accessible from the Psychology website. Please see the Resources page to download the application and instructions.