Psychology is a capped major at UC Berkeley. This means that we have such a high demand that we cannot accommodate every student who wishes to major in Psychology. As part of the terms of being a capped major, all students who apply to the major and meet the following criteria are guaranteed admission:
- Have a 3.2 grade-point average in all prerequisite courses (Note: we do not round up);
- If you entered UC Berkeley as a freshman, you must declare the major by your 5th semester or prior to the accumulation of 80 semester units, including work in progress (AP or college credit obtained in high school do not count towards the 80 units). If you entered Berkeley as a junior level transfer, you must declare the major no later than your first semester at UC Berkeley; and
- Submit the application to the major by the posted deadline.
If any of the above criteria are not met, students may still be admitted to the major; however, there is no guarantee. Please understand that applications will not be processed until all prerequisite courses are complete and final grades have been posted. This may mean that you will not technically be admitted to the major until the beginning of the following semester.
Please note the following Credit Restrictions:
- Students will receive no credit for 1A after taking 16B and will receive 2 units for 1A after taking 16A.
- Students will receive 2 units of credit for 1B after taking 16B.
- Students will receive no credit for 16A after taking 1A. 2 units of 16A may be used to remove a deficient grade in 1A.
- Students will receive no credit for 16B after taking 1B. Students will receive 2 units of 16B after taking 1A. 2 units of 16B may be used to remove a deficient grade in 1A.
- Students who have taken Stats 2, will not receive credit for Stats 20 or Stats 21.
Students who have taken Psych/MCB C61 will not receive credit for Psych 110 (effective Fall 2016).
Students will receive no credit for Psych 110 after completing Psych/MCB C61 beginning Fall 2016.
If a student has transfer courses that articulated to Psych/MCB C61 as posted on assist.org, (example: Psych 24 from De Anza), the students will not receive credit for Psych 110. Students must take Psych 117 or C127 to meet the Tier 2 Biological requirement.
If the biological pschology course was accepted by the Psychology Department but the course is not articulated on assist.org, then students may take Psych 110 to fulfill the Tier 2 Biological requirement.
Lower Division/Prerequisite Requirements
1. Students enrolled in 197, 198, and 199 courses must have completed at least 60 semester units of undergraduate study and must be in good academic standing (2.0 grade point average or better).
2. Credit for 99, 198 and 199 courses in a single term may aggregate no more than 4 units.
3. No more than a total of 16 units of courses numbered 99, 197, 198, and 199 may be used to meet the requirements for a Bachelor's degree.
For each of the courses 99, 197, 198, 199 a student must be involved in three hours of work per week for one unit of credit.