FAQ - Funding & Residency
What types of funding do you offer?

We guarantee 10 semesters of funding through a combination of fellowships and teaching or research appointments. The appointments are for one semester or one year, provide a monthly stipend, tuition remission, and payment of all registration fees excluding the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition fee (NRST). Fellowships also provide a monthly stipend, tuition and fees.


The department guarantees to pay the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition for U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents in their first year. By the start of the second year, U.S. citizens and permanent residents must establish California residency for tuition purposes or pay the NRST themselves.  Information for international students is below.


Is tuition more expensive for international students than for U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents?

Yes. The reason is that international students are subjected to paying Nonresident Supplemental Tuition (NRST) every semester.  However, arrangements are made among faculty sponsors and the department to cover the NRST for the first four semesters (2 years).  International students who have advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D. degree before the start of their third year are then eligible to receive a NRST waiver for the next three years from our Graduate Division. After these three years, faculty sponsors will be responsible for paying the NRST.


What funding is available to international students?

Beyond what is mentioned above, most financial aid from the University is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. However, International students are eligible to hold teaching and research positions.  For information on funding resources available to International students: Berkeley International Office Financial Aid and Graduate Division's Extramural Fellowships.


How can I establish California residency for tuition purposes?

Students must meet a number of requirements before the University will classify students as California residents for tuition purposes. The Residence Deputy in the Office of the Registrar reviews requests to establish California residency for tuition purposes and makes the official determination of student’s residency. For residency process information and specific residency requirements: Legal Residence Information. The essential point is, establishing residency must begin as soon as a student arrives in California.


What type of support is available for graduate students who are parents?

Student parents make up about 10% of Berkeley's graduate population. Information about policies, grants, childbirth accommodation funding, family and childbearing leaves, and more: Support for Student Parents.